Sir John Cass
Sir John Cass founded a school in the churchyard of St Botolph’s in 1710.
Whilst signing his will in 1748 he suffered a brain haemorrhage and died. As the will had not been fully signed there followed thirty years of legal wrangling before the Court of Chancery confirmed that all his property could be left to the school.
In the centuries which followed the Sir John Cass’s Foundation has provided primary, secondary and tertiary education and funds work with young people across inner London.